Saturday, October 11, 2014

Weekend Writing Warriors 10/12/14: Why do you hold back?

We’re Weekend Writing Warriors, the neat little writers blog hop where authors post eight sentences from a work of theirs, published or not, live on their blog by 9 am US Eastern time Sundays. Then we all hop around to each other’s blogs to cheer on protagonists, boo at antags, worry that lovers may drift apart, hope that potential lovers find each other, and so much more. We have some dedicated writers here!

Skipping ahead a few lines in my paranormal novel, working title Night Shift. Kazimir has explained to Devorah more about what being a Crosser is like. He tells her, again, that she really needs to just disappear from the life she knew before. In this excerpt, she refers to her brother Joe who said he was joining the police department. That’s a sore point with Devorah and her mom, since her dad was likely killed because he was the police chief.

However, things have happened to Devorah that made her realize Joe needs to follow his passion, just as she is driven to join the Crossers on the promise that she would find out who really murdered her dad. So she defended Joe’s decision to their mom. She didn’t know when she agreed to join the Crossers that she might be expected to abandon her family and friends. Collected excerpts for this story are here.

Now that I thought about it, Kazimir did say something days ago about leaving my old life behind. But dealing a blow like that against Mom and the rest of my family wouldn’t be fair. Did I really believe that making sacrifices wasn’t about the person giving up, but about those on the receiving end? I made a pretty speech or two in Joe’s defense and everything I said applied to myself. The greater good; that was wonderful and all, but wouldn’t make Mom feel any better. She didn’t have a say in this. Maybe I could somehow let them know I was all right. “Why do you keep holding things back from me? Is there a way to let my family know I made it out of the synagogue fire?”

Poor Devorah, things have really hit the fan ;-) Will things get better or will she continue to struggle with nasty surprises?

Thanks for coming by. I love all of your comments!

10 comments:

  1. Great insight into Devorah's mind. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The synagogue fire intrigues me. A lot of wonderful inner thought.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing she's gonna see a lot of brown flinging off said fan in the future...cause her author is good at creating tension : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Devorah is in a hole, that's for sure. I'm just thinking a couple more bad things will happen before they get better, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gemma and Joyce, thanks very much. Devorah's a practical person and it takes a lot to rattle her, but she's approaching that point.

    Millie and Frank, well, the issue I had with Draft 1 was that other people kept digging that hole she was in and she just stood there asking everybody what was going on. Draft 2 is going to see her holding a shovel ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness my computer has managed to delete my comment the last three times I wrote it. Sorry, anyhow, I'm excited to find out what Devorah ends up divulging about the fire. Great eight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a dilemma for her! There do seem to be a lot of conditions she only learns about a little bit late in the game...enjoying the story, love the twists and turns. Your heroine is quite real to me, and so strong. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once you let families into your head , it's muddle time in the old bean. She's a woman to love and she's done some serious suffering thanks to her creator. Marcia, dig her some slack, please. I give a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's the third parties that get hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The tension is really increasing, it really hooks the reader. Wonderful 8.

    ReplyDelete