Saturday, June 16, 2012

I've been tagged!: the Lucky Seven

So there's a Lucky Seven meme loose! I got tagged by Critique Circle and Six Sentence Sunday cohort Angela Quarles.

The premise works like this: Post seven lines from an unpublished work of fiction, and follow these rules:

Go to page 7 or 77 in your current manuscript (fiction or non-fiction)
Go to line 7
Post the next 7 lines or sentences on your blog as they are (no cheating, please!)
Tag 7 other authors to do the same

I went to page 7 of my Work In Progress and that particular segment turned out to be not so interesting when taken out of context ... :( ...  But I got lucky on page 77! I still have to explain a bit of background but that's easily done.

This bit happens only a couple of months after Neal has left the street gang he grew up in. Despite his name, Neal is part Mexican-American. He and his gang pals have only had trouble with the local African-Americans. Here, he meets Sandy's drum tech (roadie) Phil for the first time.
“I ain’t afraid of you, chango."
Sandy’s voice raised. “Did you just swear at him?”
“It’s cool,” Phil said. “He’ll get used to me. He’ll find out that I like everybody.”
Sandy let his breath out loudly and added, “Neal, I don’t think of Phil as black, he’s just Phil."
The folks I'm tagging:
1. Teresa Cypher
2. ED Martin
3. Selah Janel
4. J. Andrew Jansen
5. Jean Davis
6. Chrystalla Thoma
7. Art Edwards

I can't promise Art will reciprocate since he's got a lot on, but he's the only one in my list (that I'm aware of) who also writes rock lit. Visit his site anyway, he's a cool guy :D

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Karla! I will wrangle this plot into submission and come hell or high water, it WILL get published!

    ReplyDelete