Sunday, March 24, 2013

Weekend Writing Warriors 3/24/13

Street Glass is my novel-in-progress. My tagline: Underprivileged 18-yr-old Latino leaves street gang and befriends white, over-privileged musicians.

While some of the plot is subject to change (draft two is a pretty early draft, after all) the basic elements will stay, as will the character "voices". So these excerpts will still give you a good idea of how the plot plays out and what the characters are like. The year is 1986, in Los Angeles, California.

All the previous excerpts are collected here.

Last week, the guy who nabbed Sandy outside of an alley and cuffed his hands behind his back began to taunt him. He forced a terrified Sandy to his knees and said “Beg me not to kill you.” Sandy sputters something but doesn’t know if it’s what the thug wants. We pick up in Sandy’s POV.
Damn, his voice sounded weak.

The guy laughed. “You as scared as you sound?”

He sprang in front of Sandy and grabbed a fistful of Sandy’s t-shirt. He leaned in close to Sandy’s face. Curly dark hair seemed to fly everywhere but didn’t hide the hatred burning in his eyes.

“My God,” Sandy whispered. “You’re just a teenager.
For more excerpts from a wide and wonderful variety of stories, visit Weekend Writing Warriors. We have fun blog hopping all over the world, and we hope you'll come along!

Thanks for visiting my blog today. Comments gratefully accepted :-D

16 comments:

  1. So young and so hateful! Wonderful character portrayal, Marcia! Hope nothing horrible happens to Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah he was pretty awful in the beginning :D In the full chapter, it's easier to see that he's acting this way with Sandy because he just got beat up himself. Hopefully readers will sympathize with Razor when they realize he's angry because he feels trapped.

      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. Great snippet. The dialogue is well done I can get a sense of the main character pov and a sense of the other person. Well done.

    One thought though- you use the word 'sprang' and what i picture was him jumping over to the front of Sandy, but I don't think that was your intention- maybe try a different word?
    ~Summer
    My 8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly. I'm only on draft 2 with the novel so focus on word choice is yet to come - should I be scared? lol!

      Delete
  3. Dude, that comment is NOT going to help. Nobody likes to be judged because of their age. I don't think Razor's really going to hurt him though.

    Great eight, Marcia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. laff! Kate you're right, although Razor's got bigger concerns than being judged by his age. Nice to see you :)

      Delete
  4. Intense scene. You have captured the characters perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reworked it a few times, but I kind of like it now. Thanks, Paula.

      Delete
  5. That was a good spontaneous reaction. His first thought. Well done.

    I feel you on the spam too, I don't mind filling it in on everybody's blog either. I find my WordPress blog to be 100 times worse!

    PS.. I see you are from western NY too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks :)

      WNY yeah, I got away once but darn, here I am again!

      Delete
  6. I love how you added the revelation at the end. Scary, high-tension snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The scene has gone through a bunch of revisions but I like it a lot now.

      Delete