Thursday, September 9, 2010

I've written myself into a spiral!

Fictional conversations can go in so many directions, like in real life. Characters’ moods sometimes determine their reactions. Now I’m revising the scene where Sandy first tells Neal he wants to start a non-profit charitable foundation, and I’ve got four or five versions of the damn scene. I do think Neal’s final decision on whether or not to help Sandy with it should not happen right away; there should be *some* tension involved. So, okay: in that case, how involved does the initial conversation need to be? I shortened and revised it -- two or three times -- and I’m still not happy. Just today, I found version four or five, and one paragraph that I think should maybe be included.

What I’d really like, is for somebody else to write this damn scene for me!! My second draft -- the first was crap, really, you know what first drafts are like -- had some good stuff, but I can’t find it. Actually there’s like two months’ worth of stuff I can’t find, but that’s another rant. Somehow in trying to make this scene have a lot of impact, but keep it short, I’ve fractured it and confused the crap out of myself.

*sigh*

I don’t normally do that. Plus, while looking through disks for those missing months of work, I’ve read through various chapters in various orders, and that doesn’t help. What happened when? Who knew what, when? Who did how, when was their motivation, would buttercups filibuster salmon steak? See what I mean?!

Actually, that might a good idea to catapult myself out of this miasma.  Imagine turning your characters over to somebody who's completely unfamiliar with them, and letting them write an entire scene.  You get it back.  Oh, you say, Fred would never swear at Ethel, he'd probably say something like . . .

Wait, you say, Ethel couldn't drive Fred to the cliff because she never learned to drive.  She might want to, but she'd just . . .

Huh.  Anybody want to take a crack at my scene? ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment